Thursday, January 12, 2012

CAO Italia

Cigar: CAO ITALIA
Size: 4.5 X 46 / Petit Corona
Color: Colorado Maduro to Maduro
Cost: $5.95
Drink: Woodford Bourbon Single Barrel Reserve

One of the first things I decided as I start this quest, is not to go out half cocked with no idea of what I was going to try or have no plan of how to get started.  The one thing I did know, I wasn't going to buy the most expensive cigars I could find under the auspices that they would be better. So to make this interesting, I decided to go out and find the least expensive cigars with most flavor.

I perused the internet and found several sites that recommended cigars that were both highly rated and very inexpensive.  Enter the CAO brand and for this tasting the ITALIA.

The ITALIA is one of the few cigars made with Italian Leaf and Italian tobacco filler.  The cigar is also filled with Nicaraguan and Peruvian tobacco.

The first puff lent itself to a sweet, peppery taste. The color of the leaf is is dark (Colorado Maduro to Maduro), so as expected, there was a very strong tobacco smell.  Around the middle of the smoke, the cigar began to change flavors.  I'm not sure I can put my hand or my taste buds on the flavor.  It was still rather sweet but without the pepper.  I wonder if my bourbon assisted in enhancing the sweet and easing back the pepper flavor.  I started to taste the "bad" tobacco when there was about an inch to an inch and half left.

I used my XIKAR torch to light the cigar.  It burned slowly and the ash was very sturdy.  According to my cigar tutoring, sturdy ash speaks of purer tobacco filler as opposed to filler that includes paper or pieces of stalk.

Because is the first official tasting, I will rate the CAO ITALIA at 3 of 5 stars.  I reserve the right to amend this as I taste more cigars.  As for now, anything above 3 stars is recommended.  Also, the band is so very cool.  It will definitely be kept for the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment