Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial Rothchilde

Cigar: Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial Rothchilde
Size: 5 X 54 / Robusto
Color: Colorado to Colorado Maduro
Cost: $4.80
Drink: Jack Daniels Green Label Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey

Saturday was a beautiful day in the neighborhood.  Sunny, mild and just beautiful!  In between the "honey dos" and nightfall, I heard my golf clubs calling my name.  I spent a couple of hours on the driving range next to an old guy.  He was clearly in his late 60s, pot bellied and hit the ball so straight that it would make tour pros jealous.  Okay, that may be a bit of hyperbole but he did hit the ball extremely straight.

He finished his bucket, dutifully cleaned his clubs and sat on the bench behind me and fired up a beautifully fragrant cigar.  So of course, after I finished my bucket, I inquired about his smoke.  Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial Rothchilde.  He told me that's all he ever smokes anymore.  He said he like the way it tastes and it was very inexpensive.  So of course, my next stop was the local tobacco shop. I had an article in Esquire Magazine about Chuck Berry I had yet to read, so what better way to relax and get to this article then with this smoke and good whiskey. 

First, the aroma of this cigar is incredible.  I saw Cuban beaches outlined in the smoke.  The leaf is Nicaraguan.  The filler is a blend of Nicaraguan, Peruvian and Honduran.  I tasted what I'm calling a nutty coffee.  It reminded me of the coffee I drink in the morning.  The whiskey that I was drinking also enhanced the nutty flavor.  The color is lighter than maduro, so I was a little surprised at how much aroma there was.  The cigar band was traditional red with gold lettering.  Not so much to look at. 

I don't read blogs until after I smoke so as not to influence my thoughts. Though in my quick research about the brand, it has long be lauded for its price point being more than affordable and its flavor speaking of a much more expensive cigar.

This cigar rates 3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment